Skip to content

Passports and Visas



All Study Abroad programs require a valid passport, which students obtain independently. The Travel.State.Gov site has information about applying for a passport.


Some study abroad programs require visas, while others do not. To find Visa and Entry Requirements as well as other information about Visas, visit the US Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs Visa Waiver Program Site.

The Office of Global and Off-Campus Initiatives applies for visas only for those students going to the Guilford programs in Ghana and South West China. Students must still complete paperwork and provide the required documents for these visa applications. All other students are required to complete the actual application on their own.

Students attending Spring programs abroad should be particularly vigilant in applying for a visa, as it can take 30-45 days to process applications. In some cases, paying extra for an expedited visa will be necessary if a student delays too long.

Students planning on staying in their host country longer than 90 days must check visa and entry requirements as one is often required, especially in Europe.